Northwest Ohio's Premier Orthopaedic Hospital
 Career Opportunities
 Get to Know Us
 Why Choose IOS
 Mission & Philosophy of Caring
 Ownership Statement
 Meet Our Medical Staff
 Insurance/Network Listing
 Our Pricing
 Billing & Financial Assistance
 Nondiscrimination Notice
 Community Health Needs
 Community Health
 Improvement Plan
 Communication Assistance
 Map & Directions
 Contact Us
 Notice of Privacy Practices

  Patient Services
Surgeries & Procedures
Physical & Occupational Therapies
Sports Medicine
  Patient Information
Getting Ready for Surgery
Post-Op Care
Patient & Visitor Information
Total Joint Replacement Clinic
Learn More
  Important Information
Patient Success Stories
Quality & Outcomes

more information
on this subject

Is It The Right Time For You To Quit Smoking?

Consider the Facts

  • Lung cancer is the number one cause of cancer among both American men and women.  Each year 440,000 people in the U.S. die from tobacco use.
  • Nationally, 22.9% of high schools students were current smokers in 2002.  Almost 27% of those 18-24 years old were current smokers in 2002.
  • Smoking tobacco (cigarettes, cigars, and pipes) account for 87% of lung cancers.
  • Smoking is a major cause of cancers of the mouth, larynx, pharynx, esophagus, kidney, bladder, pancreas and cervix.
  • Smokers believe that cigarette smoking relieves stress.  The truth of the matter is that tobacco dependency is associated with heightened stress.

Is Your Smoking Hurting the Ones you Love?

  • Only 15% of smoke from a cigarette is inhaled by the smoker.  The other 85% goes directly in to the air and is known as “second-hand” smoke.
  • Each year, second-hand smoke may be responsible for about 3,000 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults and an additional 35,000 to 40,000 cases of heart disease in nonsmokers.
  • We know that children of parents who smoke have more frequent and more severe asthma attacks, bronchitis and pneumonia; get more ear infections; and are at a greater risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).

Benefits of Being Smoke Free

  • Reduces risk of heart disease, stroke and chronic lung disease.
  • Fewer wrinkles and softer skin.
  • Improves taste and smell.
  • Reduces risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, low birth weight baby.
  • Personal benefits:  feel more in control of life; better smelling hair, breath, clothes, home and care; have whiter teeth.  Time savings:  not having to take smoke breaks.
  • Family benefits:  reduces children’s respiratory tract infections; sets good examples for children and reduces cancer risks.

Understanding Your Ability to Quit Smoking

  • Tobacco use is an addiction.  Learning about your addiction is an important tool to your ability to quit.
  • Familiarize yourself with the products available on the market to help you quit smoking and to learn how to use them properly.
  • Don’t try to go it alone.  Seek out support from other smokers who can help you through the process.

Local Resources for Smoking Cessation

  • American Lung Association, 1541 Allentown Road, Lima, OH  45805    Locally 419-224-8561 or (800) LUNG-USA (1-800-586-4872)
  • American Cancer Society, 616 S. Collett Street, Lima, OH  45805   Locally (419) 225-8860 or (800) 4-CANCER (1-800-422-6237)
  • American Heart Association, P. O. Box 593, Lima, OH  45802     Locally (419) 223-5761  or (800) AHA-USA1 (1-800-242-8721)
  • St. Rita’s Medical Center, 730 W. Market Street, Lima, OH  45801     (419) 227-3361.
  • Lima Memorial Health System, 1001 Bellefontaine Avenue, Lima, OH  45804   (419) 226-5036  Leave a Message
  • Tobacco Quit Line
    The Tobacco Quit Line is a FREE telephone counseling service designed to help you quit smoking cigarettes or using tobacco. You can call toll free at
    1-800-QUIT NOW (784-8669).

...back to Getting Ready for Surgery

Pre-Admission Testing
Joint Replacement Clinic
Is It The Right Time For You To Quit Smoking


IOS, 801 Medical Drive, Suite B, Lima, Ohio 45804
801 Medical Drive
Suite B
Lima, Ohio 45804
Phone:  419-224-7586
Fax: 419-224-9769